It amazes me everyday how much I have compromised in my life, often for reasons, which really does not make that much sense. Every compromise, however small or large, slowly chiseling away at my happiness, slowly moving me into a compromised state of comfort.
To make things worse, the comfort became so addictive that I fiercely protected it nearly to the point of my own destruction, and still do to some degree. And though this may not have been conscious, my behavior continued to drag me down deeper and deeper into the abyss. Every action I took reinforcing my resolve to stay comfortable (and more lost).
At some point however, I started realizing that this does not actually constitute or enhance happiness of any kind. If anything it only caused anxiety and depression, ever deepening. So much so that it drove me straight into what could only be described as an early midlife crisis. I needed to change my life. Dramatically….
When I finally realized this, I did make some changes and continue to do so. I was very overweight. I am no longer that. I was living an extremely unhealthy lifestyle. I live an active and healthy lifestyle now. I hated my job. I am working very hard on changing that. All-round things are looking up, though still not quite there yet.
In this process, which has so far spanned several years, I have learnt this :
- You need to know what it is you want to change. Even though you may not know the destination, if you identify things you are unhappy with you can start working on those.
- You have to want it. Really want it…
- It will be uncomfortable. Everything around you will rebel against your change. Try to stop you and drag you back down.
- You need a plan. What are you going to do to affect the change? And then do it.
- Never Stop. Just don’t. Just keep going until you get there…
Following this formula slowly but surely you will reclaim your life and your happiness.
Slowly but surely…..