Author Topic: How to select your personal trainer  (Read 63 times)

Offline Pieter Heydenrych

• Administrator
  • Life Change Coach
    • View Profile
    • Life Change - From A Blimp To A Racecar
How to select your personal trainer
« on: June 17, 2017, 12:45:12 PM »
Most of the personal trainers, that I have met over the years, have their own fitness journeys they are following.  One will be a heavy weight lifter, another a fighter.  Others will be focused on body building or whatever...  There are many varieties.  These personal pursuits tend to permeate through very significantly in the type and style of training you should expect from your trainer.  It will be the area where they have the most experience and expertise, because they hold a personal interest in. This means that it would be wise for you to select a trainer who's personal goals somewhat match your interests.  It will serve you really well.

The experience of the trainer is a second very important consideration. Because making a career out of personal training is so intrinsically difficult, more often than not, gyms hire and replace many new trainers frequently.  This means that you have a constant mill of new trainers, most of which lack any real experience, and never really get any significant experience before moving on to something better.  They may have the training, but experience is a problem.  When you select your trainer it is very important that you select someone with a little more experience.  Pick a trainer that has been around for a little while.  Chances are those ones are the ones that will actually be able to help you.  They are obviously good enough to make a living out of it.

Last but not the least, make sure you are at least reasonably comfortable with the person you select.  I realize that this may prove hard to assess, but for a start I would suggest that you ask yourself if you would be willing to follow a particular person's instructions?  Would you trust them enough to really do it?  If they push you to do something hard, will you do it?  If they got into your personal "bubble", would this be comfortable for you?  It does happen...
Personal Trainer and Life Change Coach, get my book From A Blimp To A Racecar.  Check out my blog at From A Blimp To A Racecar.  Follow me on  Twitter